"Smart" vs. "dumb" trackers
Andrew Pavlin
2014-06-23 13:40:47 UTC
Greetings, all.

After dealing with some issues this weekend at a public service event with constantly having to reset "dumb" trackers and not being able to reliably see mixed "dumb" trackers and full-function APRS radios (Kenwood D710), I was wondering:

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced and reasonable performance "smart" tracker? That would be a tracker with a receiver (so it doesn't depend solely on timeslotting to avoid packet collisions)? Having some minimal UI on the tracker so messages could be sent back to it from the Net Control Station position would be a plus.

Tying up a Kenwood D72 is kind of overkill (especially on price). Anyone have any ideas in this area?

Andrew, KA2DDO
Stephen H. Smith
2014-06-23 13:53:50 UTC
Post by Andrew Pavlin
Greetings, all.
Does anyone know of a reasonably priced and reasonable performance "smart" tracker? That would be a tracker with a receiver (so it doesn't depend solely on timeslotting to avoid packet collisions)? Having some minimal UI on the tracker so messages could be sent back to it from the Net Control Station position would be a plus.
You've just described a Kenwood D7 or D72 or a Yaesu VX8......
Post by Andrew Pavlin
Tying up a Kenwood D72 is kind of overkill (especially on price). Anyone have any ideas in this area?
By the time you:

- take a basic RX/TX "data radio" something like this

<https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=110>

- add a full send & receive modem/TNC such as a TinyTrack 4 or Tracker 3,

- add a keyboard & display, a tablet, or a small laptop for a send/receive
user interface

- and finally add a GPS receiver

you have basically re-invented the Kenwood or Yaesu APRS handheld -- probably
in a much bulkier package.

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype: WA8LMF
EchoLink: Node # 14400 [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page: http://wa8lmf.net

Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF
http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/HF_APRS_Notes.htm

High Performance Sound Systems for Soundcard Apps
http://wa8lmf.net/ham/imic.htm
http://wa8lmf.net/ham/uca202.htm

"APRS 101" Explanation of APRS Path Selection & Digipeating
http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths
SARTrack Admin
2014-06-23 14:03:03 UTC
The tinytrak-3 connected to a (cheap) handheld radio will check for an
open squelch (any noise) before transmitting.

The TinyTrak-4 has even a full decoding capability.
http://www.byonics.com/

Bart ZL4FOX
http://www.sartrack.co.nz
SARTrack Developer and CEO
Stephen H. Smith
2014-06-23 15:03:29 UTC
The tinytrak-3 connected to a (cheap) handheld radio will check for an open
squelch (any noise) before transmitting.
Except that this is not a positive carrier detect; i.e COR. All it does is
sense audio energy coming from the radio's audio-out. It gets fooled by dead
carriers or under-deviated voice signals on the channel into thinking the
channel is clear.
The TinyTrak-4 has even a full decoding capability.
http://www.byonics.com/
But you still need (in addition to the handheld and TT4) :

- Some sort of keyboard and display

- A GPS receiver

- Some soft of battery pack to power this stuff

- A tangle of cables to interconnect all this stuff

All in all, a clumsy and messy kluge to replace an all-in-one APRS radio.

http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths
SARTrack Admin
2014-06-23 15:11:31 UTC
Post by Stephen H. Smith
The tinytrak-3 connected to a (cheap) handheld radio will check for an open
squelch (any noise) before transmitting.
Except that this is not a positive carrier detect; i.e COR. All it does
is sense audio energy coming from the radio's audio-out. It gets
fooled by dead carriers or under-deviated voice signals on the channel
into thinking the channel is clear.
Correct, but how often do you have 'dead carriers' of voice data on the
APRS frequency? It basically always is a APRS signal, so it works quite
well.
Post by Stephen H. Smith
The TinyTrak-4 has even a full decoding capability.
http://www.byonics.com/
The original question was about Trackers. Not a full two-way messaging
system.

Have a look at my original design, using a VX-170 (or Type Approved
radio in my final design), GPS chip and TinyTrak3 in a small box, and
powered from the radio. This setup runs for 12 hours, every 30 seconds
TX (used on a special VHF frequency). You can also use a very cheap
Chinese radio on the HAM frequencies.

http://www.sartrack.co.nz/Trackers.html

Bart
SARTrack Developer and CEO
Randy Love
2014-06-23 15:32:35 UTC
All of the opentracker series distinguish between dead carrier and actual
tones. Software DCD is your friend.
BTW, the OTUSB line run under $50 and have usb readily available for
attaching to a table running your favorite flavor of APRS client.

Randy
WF5X
Charles Bland
2014-06-23 16:39:44 UTC
Use have used the Byonics MT-AIOs with great success. But we put just as
much effort into choice of frequency and the supporting ad hoc network to
make sure EVERYTHING is working like it should.

I would not EVEN want to think about sending-out higher tier portable or
mobile radios to do the job of a tracker. In the case of the MT-AIOs, we
turn them on, mag-mount them to the top of the vehicle with their antenna,
and turn them loose. They are always configured and ready, not at the whims
of how portable/mobile owners may change them over time and then forget how
to return their APRS configuration to usable settings.

Chuck Bland
NA6BR
Stephen H. Smith
2014-06-23 17:02:42 UTC
Use have used the Byonics MT-AIOs with great success. But we put just as much
effort into choice of frequency and the supporting ad hoc network to make sure
EVERYTHING is working like it should.
I would not EVEN want to think about sending-out higher tier portable or mobile
radios to do the job of a tracker. In the case of the MT-AIOs, we turn them on,
mag-mount them to the top of the vehicle with their antenna, and turn them
loose. They are always configured and ready, not at the whims of how
portable/mobile owners may change them over time and then forget how to return
their APRS configuration to usable settings.
Chuck Bland
NA6BR
This makes a lot of sense, and only reinforces my previous observation that all
devices involved in an organized activity need to be under the control of a
single authority, so they can be configured properly and consistently.

The problems arise when you have a motley collection of "come-as-you-are"
devices from numerous sources attempting to interoperate.
Jason KG4WSV
2014-06-23 18:04:56 UTC
Post by Charles Bland
Use have used the Byonics MT-AIOs with great success. But we put just as
much effort into choice of frequency and the supporting ad hoc network to
make sure EVERYTHING is working like it should.
I would not EVEN want to think about sending-out higher tier portable or
mobile radios to do the job of a tracker. In the case of the MT-AIOs, we
turn them on, mag-mount them to the top of the vehicle with their antenna,
and turn them loose. They are always configured and ready, not at the whims
of how portable/mobile owners may change them over time and then forget how
to return their APRS configuration to usable settings.
Those are all good points, but the Byonics MT-AIO doesn't have a
receiver; it's about as dumb a tracker as is possible. It is on the
opposite end of the APRS spectrum from what the original poster asked
about.

-Jason
kg4wsv
Andrew Pavlin
2014-06-23 21:01:34 UTC
I'm the original poster.

Just FYI, I did say that message reception/display at the tracker was a "plus", not mandatory.

But since apparently the Argent OpenTracker USB can do all of my original requests (including the "plus" items), looks like there is at least one device that can do the job other than the Kenwood and Yaesu HT's (and actually do it better by being a canned tracker instead of an HT with too many buttons for the end-user to screw up). But can it do it cheaper?

Andrew, KA2DDO

kg4wsv
Stephen H. Smith
2014-06-23 22:29:58 UTC
Post by Andrew Pavlin
I'm the original poster.
Just FYI, I did say that message reception/display at the tracker was a "plus", not mandatory.
But since apparently the Argent OpenTracker USB can do all of my original requests (including the "plus" items), looks like there is at least one device that can do the job other than the Kenwood and Yaesu HT's (and actually do it better by being a canned tracker instead of an HT with too many buttons for the end-user to screw up). But can it do it cheaper?
The Argent Opentracker is only a sophisticated fully bi-directional TNC with
telemetry and control capabilities -- not a radio. You still need to provide a
transceiver, a GPS and (for interactive bi-directional messaging) a Garmin Nuvi
350.

[There is a naked board version intended as a direct drop-in replacement for
the OEM TNC in the Alinco DR-135T mobile rig.]

The unique capability of the Opentracker is that it can activate the Garmin's
built-in "FMI" (Fleet Management Interface) firmware to do two-way text
messaging on the Garmin's touch screen. (It uses the same virtual on-screen
keyboard you normally use to look up addresses for navigation). It also will
plot incoming posits on the Garmin's map display.

Unfortunately, all this "coolness" only works with the now-discontinued Nuvi
350. (Garmin screwed up the waypoint handling, used to plot the posits, in
later versions of the Nuvi.)

Stephen H. Smith
2014-06-23 16:58:00 UTC
Post by Stephen H. Smith
The tinytrak-3 connected to a (cheap) handheld radio will check for an open
squelch (any noise) before transmitting.
Except that this is not a positive carrier detect; i.e COR. All it does
is sense audio energy coming from the radio's audio-out. It gets
fooled by dead carriers or under-deviated voice signals on the channel
into thinking the channel is clear.
Correct, but how often do you have 'dead carriers' of voice data on the APRS
frequency? It basically always is a APRS signal, so it works quite well.
Many operations have used the Mic-E technique of "tail-gating" voice
transmissions with APRS bursts, allowing a single-frequency radio on a voice
channel to also inform the net control station where they are after every voice
transmission.

Further, as has been pointed out repeatedly on this list, the carrier
detect/COR/noise detect (or whatever you want to call it) is relatively
ineffective because the low power handhelds on the ground usually can't hear
each other. They mostly hear the digipeater and/or base station due to it's
presumably superior transmit power and antenna height. As a result, you can
(mostly) avoid collisions with the digi's transmit, but not with other trackers.

The only really practical way to avoid collisions between low-power
low-elevation field units is precise time-slotting. Meaning all the units
involved need to be under the control of a single authority ahead of time, so
that time slots can be assigned to each.
The original question was about Trackers. Not a full two-way messaging system.
Yes it was....

"Does anyone know of a reasonably priced and reasonable performance "smart"
tracker? That would be a tracker with a receiver (so it doesn't depend solely
on timeslotting to avoid packet collisions)? Having some minimal UI on the
tracker so messages could be sent back to it from the Net Control Station
position would be a plus."

It appears that the original poster WAS seeking an "el cheapo" full
send/receive messaging (i.e. display & keyboard) replacement) for a D72 or a VX-8
Have a look at my original design, using a VX-170 (or Type Approved radio in my
final design), GPS chip and TinyTrak3 in a small box, and powered from the
radio. This setup runs for 12 hours, every 30 seconds TX (used on a special VHF
frequency). You can also use a very cheap Chinese radio on the HAM frequencies.
http://www.sartrack.co.nz/Trackers.html
Which is still a transmit-only device (albeit nicely packaged) of the type the
original poster characterized as a "dumb tracker".

Your comments on the problems with digitized voice channels on hand-helds was
interesting. I hadn't realized this has become an issue with ordinary
commodity VHF/UHF hand-helds.

This HAS been an issue for many years, with trackers and security systems
kludged into cellphone mic/earphone jacks. The speech-centric (syllabic-rate)
digital processing of CDMA and GSM codecs absolutely destroys steady-state
tones like DTMF and '202 1200-baud modem tones.

[Have you noticed that when you reach an answering machine when calling from a
cell phone, that the "beeeep" after the outgoing message comes through as a
wheezing gasping gurgle instead of a pure tone?

Any "DTMF" over-dialing from a cellphone's keypad is sent purely as a digital
data stream that is converted to actual DTMF only at the point when the traffic
passes from the cell network to the (analog-emulating) land-line phone network.
The DTMF tones you hear in the cellphone earpiece are a "faked" sidetone,
purely for the benefit of the local user.]

http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths
Andre
2014-06-23 13:52:23 UTC
Post by Andrew Pavlin
Greetings, all.
After dealing with some issues this weekend at a public service
event with constantly having to reset "dumb" trackers and not being
able to reliably see mixed "dumb" trackers and full-function APRS
Does anyone know of a reasonably priced and reasonable performance
"smart" tracker? That would be a tracker with a receiver (so it
doesn't depend solely on timeslotting to avoid packet collisions)?
Having some minimal UI on the tracker so messages could be sent
back to it from the Net Control Station position would be a plus.
Tying up a Kenwood D72 is kind of overkill (especially on price).
Anyone have any ideas in this area?
Andrew, KA2DDO Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
_______________________________________________ aprssig mailing
I think smart trackers that are not build in radios are limited to
hamhud and the d710 controllhead.

the hamhud.net wensite appears to be having some problems so not sure
if you can still buy kits but the controllhead can be obtained trough
the kenwood channels.

73 de Andre PE1RDW
Fredric Moses
2014-06-23 14:04:26 UTC
We have replaced all our byonics based TT3’s or “dumb” trackers with the argent data OTUSB or T3 devices… plug in play upgrades no wiring changes needed… Was plug in play with our existing fleet and now we have 2 way smart trackers…. Even upgraded the GPS to the Nuvi350 for the T2/T3 devices so they could support messaging.

--
Fredric Moses - W8FSM - WQOG498
Greetings, all.
Stephen H. Smith
2014-06-23 17:10:38 UTC
We have replaced all our byonics based TT3’s or “dumb” trackers with the argent data OTUSB or T3 devices… plug in play upgrades no wiring changes needed… Was plug in play with our existing fleet and now we have 2 way smart trackers…. Even upgraded the GPS to the Nuvi350 for the T2/T3 devices so they could support messaging.
--
Fredric Moses - W8FSM - WQOG498
This is the tidiest and best solution, short of a full mobile laptop. Full
messaging and mapping support. Even better than a D72 or VX8 since it allows
the user terminal to be located separately from the radio assembly which can be
placed for best RF radiation. I.e a mag-mount "ammo box tracker" containing
the radio, TNC, batteries and whip connected to a remoted 350 with a single
thin cable.

Now if ONLY Garmin would get their act together and fix the firmware bug in
waypoint plotting so that newer (bigger screen??) nuvis could be used instead
of the 350...........
Bob Burns W9BU
2014-06-23 17:10:55 UTC
Post by Andrew Pavlin
Does anyone know of a reasonably priced and reasonable performance "smart"
tracker? That would be a tracker with a receiver (so it doesn't depend
solely on timeslotting to avoid packet collisions)? Having some minimal UI
on the tracker so messages could be sent back to it from the Net Control
Station position would be a plus.
I agree with Stephen about using an APRS handheld rather than assembling a
tracker from component parts.

I bought two Argent Data T2-301 APRS tracker radios along with suitable GPS
receivers, antennas, battery holders, and Pelican cases. The T2-301 is a 5
watt VHF transceiver with an Argent Tracker2 built in. The resulting device
turned out pretty well, but it did seem at the time to be a bit of a hassle
getting all the pieces together. They have no display or self-contained
user interface, so, in practice, they are even more of a hassle because I
need a laptop computer and the proper cabling to reconfigure them in the
field. I still have both of them and one gets used once a year for a very
specialized application.

A couple of years ago, I bought a Yaesu VX-8GR. This was in addition to my
Kenwood TH-D72, but I bought the Yaesu because several of the folks in our
local public service communications group had either Yaesu VX-8Rs or
VX-8GRs and I wanted to be more familiar with the Yaesu user interface when
people asked me about them. I quickly determined that the VX-8GR is a
pretty good APRS tracker. It's more compact than the trackers I assembled
with the T2-301s and lighter, as well. Everything, radio, TNC, GPSr,
battery pack, is self contained. And, it has a built-in user interface and
display so I can reconfigure them in the field without having to fire up a
laptop computer.

When I heard that the VX-8GR was being discontinued, I bought another one.
They are now my go-to APRS trackers. I have no qualms about loaning them
out to someone that we need to track. Smaller, lighter, easier to use. Just
about perfect.

Bob...
Bob Burns W9BU
2014-06-23 18:34:38 UTC
Additionally, I have my VX-8GRs set up as trackers only and they are not
used for voice comms. When I turn one over to someone, the keyboard and
dial are locked to reduce the possibility of someone messing with the
settings.

Bob...