Amazing resistors
Robert Bruninga
2014-09-06 00:10:16 UTC
We have been running a 0.25 Watt small resistor at 3.5 Watts ALL DAY and
it still wont burn out!

We were using it as a "burn resistor" to release a fishing line mechanism.
It does that in 2 seconds. But now 10 hours later it is still going and
wont burn out! (We had hoped it would eventually open so that we could
use the same control line for something else after the resistor opened up.
But it wont.

This is amazing to me. We know that an old composition resistor will burn
smoke and crack in only a few seconds at these power levels, but not the
carbon film at 14 times overload!

Here is the scenario: 7.5v across a 15 ohm 0.25W carbon film resistor.
. It burns the fishing line in 2 seconds
. It begins to smoke at 5
. It smokes for a minute or so
. Then, is black, but no further visible changes
. After an hour it has changed resistance to 20 ohms
. After 5 hours it is up to 29 ohms
. After 10 hours it is up to 35 ohms
. Of course the V^2/R power is going down, but it wont burn out!

Just thought you might find this data point useful!

Bob, WB4APR
Scott Miller
2014-09-06 00:32:27 UTC
I did this several years ago with 200 lb test Spectra line and found I
could push metal film resistors even further. It'd melt the solder off
before the resistor would burn out.

Scott
N1VG
Al Wolfe
2014-09-06 22:53:11 UTC
Bob et al,
In my mis-spent youth I was involved with many projects that required a
squib, that is, an electrical igniter After a lot of trial and error we
settled on some very thin steel wire. Basically, we found some picture
hanging wire and discovered it was seven-stranded. Unwinding one of the
strands gave us a single thin steel wire that was perfect for our projects.
It would instantly explode with 120 volts applied and glow brightly at 12
volts before oxidizing and disintegrating.

73,
Al, k9si
it still wont burn out!
Curt, WE7U
2014-09-08 15:59:36 UTC
Post by Al Wolfe
In my mis-spent youth I was involved with many projects that required a
squib, that is, an electrical igniter After a lot of trial and error we
settled on some very thin steel wire. Basically, we found some picture
hanging wire and discovered it was seven-stranded. Unwinding one of the
strands gave us a single thin steel wire that was perfect for our projects.
It would instantly explode with 120 volts applied and glow brightly at 12
volts before oxidizing and disintegrating.
Hah! In junior high or early high school I figured out that a 30-gauge wire-wrap wire made a better igniter for my Century rocket engines than the expensive igniter wires they sold... Saved money -and- made every launch successful. I also wired my launcher to the family's car battery instead (launched from the driveway), which also increases reliability.

I claim to know nothing about blowing up resistors on purpose... Really.
--
Curt, WE7U. http://wetnet.net/~we7u
APRS Client Capabilities: http://wetnet.net/~we7u/aprs_capabilities.html
Steve
Scott Miller
2014-09-08 17:04:11 UTC
I'm still looking for a reliable, reusable igniter design - if I'm going
to load 144 rockets into box launchers on the truck, I don't want to
have to replace all of those igniters after every firing!

Scott
N1VG
Steve Noskowicz
2014-09-08 18:26:04 UTC
If you saw those paper match rockets I first saw back in the 60's...I used some small wire to ignlte them.
73, Steve, K9DCI

n4lbl
2014-09-08 19:33:04 UTC
In the late '50s and early '60s I used Jetex rocket fuse wire. There was a
very fine copper wire inside and 12 V. ignited it reliably. I put the fuse
lengthwise through black powder in a paper tube.