Early APRS Handhelds
Robert Bruninga
2014-09-12 12:39:48 UTC
Does anyone remember the first Hand Held APRS display?

The TH-D7 came out in 1998. I’m trying to get back earlier than that.

I’m remembering something like a handheld Hewlet Packard HP-100 or
something like that which some people figured out how to run APRS on. Does
anyone remember anything else back in the 1995 or 6 time frame?

I’m trying to clear up the history.

Bob, WB4APR
Kent Hufford
Sent from my smart phone.
Cap Pennell
2014-09-12 21:02:49 UTC
The HP 95LX Palmtop PC, and then the HP 100LX Palmtop PC.

73, Cap KE6AFE

Does anyone remember the first Hand Held APRS display?

The TH-D7 came out in 1998. I’m trying to get back earlier than that.

I’m remembering something like a handheld Hewlet Packard HP-100 or something like that which some people figured out how to run APRS on. Does anyone remember anything else back in the 1995 or 6 time frame?

I’m trying to clear up the history.

Bob, WB4APR

_____

aprssig mailing list
aprssig-***@public.gmane.org <mailto:aprssig-***@public.gmane.org>
Sent from my smart phone.
Bill Vodall
2014-09-12 21:45:45 UTC
Post by Cap Pennell
The HP 95LX Palmtop PC, and then the HP 100LX Palmtop PC.
APRSDOS ran on the HP 100. Wouldn't run on the HP95 because the
screen was half the standard size. I used my HP95 for JNOS.
Greg D
2014-09-13 06:44:44 UTC
Robert Kirk
2014-09-14 12:51:29 UTC
John Vause
2014-09-14 20:35:55 UTC
Does a Palm Pilot IIIx, Kantronics KPC-3, Garmin GPS45 and a Yaesu
FT-51r count?
I recall playing with that setup for a (very) short time. Still have
everything but the GPS45
(I traded it in on a 12CX which I still have). When the TH-D7a hit the
market I jumped on it
just to simplify the wiring.
Post by Robert Bruninga
Does anyone remember the first Hand Held APRS display?
The TH-D7 came out in 1998. I’m trying to get back earlier than that.
I’m remembering something like a handheld Hewlet Packard HP-100 or
something like that which some people figured out how to run APRS on.
Does anyone remember anything else back in the 1995 or 6 time frame?
I’m trying to clear up the history.
Bob, WB4APR
* My favorite law: The Law of Unintended Consequences *
* -- John Vause *
* "Environmentalism as a metaphysical ideology and as a *
* worldview has absolutely nothing to do with natural *
* sciences or with the climate. *
* -- Czech Pres. Vaclav Klaus *
* You can fool yourself if you want, and you can fool *
* as many as will follow for as long as you can get *
* away with it. But you can't fool reality. *
* - James P. Hogan in "Kicking The Sacred Cow" *
* *
* Si vis pacem, para bellum - If you wish for peace, *
* prepare for war. *