Debugging APRS clients with socat and tnc-server
Christopher Snell
2014-08-10 20:26:29 UTC
I recently needed to debug an APRS client that I'm working on and needed a
way to do it without using RF. Simply attaching the client to a KISS TNC
and a radio wasn't cutting it for me: I needed to carefully control the
packets that were being sent to the client and I needed to send packets at
a faster rate than would be desirable on the local RF network. You can do
this with a null-modem cable between two RS-232 ports but if you don't have
two ports and a cable handy, there's an easier way.

If you're a developer of an APRS client or utility, you might find this
useful. I did a write-up on the process:

http://output.chrissnell.com/post/94364500380/debugging-aprs-clients-with-a-virtual-null-modem-cable

Chris
NW5W
John KB2SCS
2014-08-10 21:54:35 UTC
Hi Christopher
I have always used the hardware method of
connect two APRS clients together.
The hardware method needs the following hardware.
Two Computers.
Two TNC

You simply connect the radio port of the two Tnc together.
Obviously connecting the correct pin to the correct pin on the other
radio port.

Then just connect the computers to the serial ports of the two TNC.
Post by Christopher Snell
I recently needed to debug an APRS client that I'm working on and
needed a way to do it without using RF. Simply attaching the client
to a KISS TNC and a radio wasn't cutting it for me: I needed to
carefully control the packets that were being sent to the client and I
needed to send packets at a faster rate than would be desirable on the
local RF network. You can do this with a null-modem cable between two
RS-232 ports but if you don't have two ports and a cable handy,
there's an easier way.
If you're a developer of an APRS client or utility, you might find
http://output.chrissnell.com/post/94364500380/debugging-aprs-clients-with-a-virtual-null-modem-cable
Chris
NW5W
Let us hope we never witness the "Silence Of The Hams"
73 DE John KB2SCS
Packet: ***@WA2PNU,#NLI.NY.USA.NOAM
E-Mail: kb2scs-***@public.gmane.org
Web Page: http://www.qsl.net/kb2scs