Xastir Map question
ml41782
2014-06-03 17:20:36 UTC
I'm putting together an APRS project for our county EOC   .

I need everything to reside on the computer. No internet access.
I want to use some good quality of our county  and surrounding jurisdictions.

We have an event coming up that will have several dignitaries from other jurisdictions and agencies present.
I want to do this right.

Any thoughts ?

Mike
Mike Goldweber
2014-06-03 20:17:41 UTC
Hi Mike,

I don't know Xastir, so I don't know for certain if this advice will be helpful. However, I am an EC in ARES for my town. I was able to get in touch with the GIS professional for my town and through him I was able to get shape files (filled with vector data) of the town. Related to this, in my last job, I was handling the creation of maps for our software and I frequently was in touch with town, county, and university personnel to get map (vector and raster) data. In each case, I requested shape files, because it was compatible with the software we were using. The shape files do not require an internet connection. Just disk space and a program that will read them.

If your program doesn't use shape files, you may be able to use an editor that will convert the shape file into a jpeg (or gif/bmp/ stc), and that can attach a lat/lon to different points on the map. This is a good technique to use for inserting a overhead/aerial photograph into your map display. I found a base aerial photograph with map data layered on top of the photo is very exciting.

I hope this helps.

Mike Goldweber
KB3IXO

--------- Original Message --------- Subject: [aprssig] Xastir Map question

ml41782
2014-06-03 20:34:12 UTC

Thanks Mike ,
I will be using xastir

http://eqsl.cc/Member.cfm?AE4ML
--... ...--  /  .- . ....- -- .-..

Tom Russo
2014-06-03 21:05:40 UTC
Post by Mike Goldweber
[...]
Xastir definitely handles shapefiles. It can be a little bit of a challenge
to construct the file required to get it to render those shapefiles in a
pretty way, but there is a powerful capability to do it (through its "dbfawk"
system). The system allows one to select shapes from the shapefile based on
attributes, level of detail appropriate to the zoom level, label the shapes
using combinations of attributes, and so forth.

Using local GIS departments to obtain shapefile data is an excellent approach,
especially for emergency operations.

Xastir will alow you to overlay shapefiles over any raster layer you like,
including locally stored USGS topo sheets, FAA sectional charts, georeferenced
scanned images, as well as on-line map layers (e.g. openstreetmaps,
terraserver aerial photos, etc.).

And APRS tracks from xastir can be exported as shapefiles to be used for
documentation purposes, for import into other programs, or to use as map
layers later.

Under normal circumstances the best place to talk about using Xastir is on
the Xastir mailing list, but the list and the Xastir wiki are both in the
middle of being moved from one server (where they have lived for years) to
another, and both are currently down. I have it on good authority that the
list is expected to be returned to operation first, and within the next few
days.
Date: 6/3/14 1:20 pm
--
Tom Russo KM5VY SAR502 DM64ux http://www.swcp.com/~russo/
Tijeras, NM QRPL#1592 K2#398 SOC#236 http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?DDTNM
Tom Russo
2014-06-03 21:29:57 UTC
Post by Tom Russo
Xastir definitely handles shapefiles. It can be a little bit of a challenge
to construct the file required to get it to render those shapefiles in a
pretty way, but there is a powerful capability to do it (through its "dbfawk"
system). The system allows one to select shapes from the shapefile based on
attributes, level of detail appropriate to the zoom level, label the shapes
using combinations of attributes, and so forth.
Since the Xastir wiki is down and the tutorial for how to create these dbfawk
files is there, here's a link to an older version that is available
elsewhere:

http://pages.swcp.com/~russo/shape_web/tutorial.html

As I wrote the tutorial and am nominally the maintainer of the dbfawk subsystem
(though its author!), feel free to contact me privately if you have issues.
No point carrying on this discussion on a forum as broad as this one. Once
the xastir mailing list is back we can continue there.

I use shapefiles from local GIS departments in my own search and rescue work
with Xastir, and have to deal with this sort of thing often.
Tom Russo
2014-06-03 22:16:19 UTC
Post by Tom Russo
As I wrote the tutorial and am nominally the maintainer of the dbfawk subsystem
(though its author!),
Though NOT its author.
Michael Lussier
2014-06-03 22:32:02 UTC
I pulled down the tiger files at work this evening. I'm hoping to play with this tonight or tomorrow some time.

The files are 2013 tiger files

Sent from an iPhone 5 iOS 7
Mike Goldweber
2014-06-03 21:44:22 UTC
Thank Tom,

I'll be sure to check Xastir out.

Mike Goldweber
KB3IXO

--------- Original Message --------- Subject: Re: [aprssig] Xastir Map question

Curt, WE7U
2014-06-05 19:22:50 UTC
Post by Tom Russo
Under normal circumstances the best place to talk about using Xastir is on
the Xastir mailing list, but the list and the Xastir wiki are both in the
middle of being moved from one server (where they have lived for years) to
another, and both are currently down. I have it on good authority that the
list is expected to be returned to operation first, and within the next few
days.
They are up now: xastir.org/mailman
--
Curt, WE7U. http://wetnet.net/~we7u