Need A GOOD USB<--> Serial Dongle? - Great Deal
Stephen H. Smith
2014-08-14 13:18:34 UTC
This morning's NewEgg e-flyer is offering a Sabrent USB-Serial dongle for
$12.99 (normally 17.99) with the promo code EMCPBWF68 and FREE SHIPPING!

This is the good stuff - this cable is based on the highly-desired FTDI chip,
not the problematic Prolific chip that so many cheap dongles use.

<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156039&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL081414&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL081414-_-EMC-081414-Index-_-CablesSVideoCables-_-12156039-L023A>

--

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype: WA8LMF

"APRS 101" Explanation of APRS Path Selection & Digipeating
http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths
Bob Poortinga
2014-08-14 18:22:06 UTC
Post by Stephen H. Smith
This is the good stuff - this cable is based on the highly-desired FTDI
chip, not the problematic Prolific chip that so many cheap dongles use.
Just to clarify Stephen's comment, dongles which use genuine Prolific
chips usually work well and have few problems. The real issue is the
number of devices (usually manufactured in China) which use
reverse-engineered, counterfeit Prolific chips and are unreliable.
Recent updates to the Prolific drivers cause devices with counterfeit
chips to stop working and many people do not understand what is going
on when an update "bricks" their USB-serial device.

73 de
--
Bob Poortinga NG9M
Bloomington, IN US
Mike George
2014-08-15 08:55:54 UTC
I agree with Bob's positive comment for real Prolific adapters.

I have been using 2 Pluggable brand adapters:

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Adapter-Prolific-PL2303HX-Chipset/dp/B00425S1H8/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3HIHADV23VGU1

for a few years now with Linux, XP, and Windows 7 machines and have
never had a problem
with them. I also have some older cables that I forgot the brand of ( I
believe one was Belkin) that I have never had problems with and they
still work with the latest drivers.

Mike George
N3MUY
Jason KG4WSV
2014-08-15 11:23:10 UTC
The prolific devices do not have a unique identifier, so the mapping to a particular device depends on either enumeration order or where the device is attached to the USB tree.

FTDI devices have a unique serial number so that the specific adapter is uniquely identified no matter when or where it is plugged in.

FTDI offers a better device with better software and fewer problems in they long run. To me saving a couple of bucks isn't worth the hassle.

-Jason
Stephen H. Smith
2014-08-15 14:13:17 UTC
Post by Mike George
I agree with Bob's positive comment for real Prolific adapters.
http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Adapter-Prolific-PL2303HX-Chipset/dp/B00425S1H8/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3HIHADV23VGU1
for a few years now with Linux, XP, and Windows 7 machines and have never had a
problem
with them.
The problem is that the "fake" Prolific chips have infiltrated the global
electronic supply chain, and are embedded in numerous other devices such as
"USB" GPS devices (which are actually serial internally with a built-in
serial-to-USB conversion). Older versions of the driver (without the
anti-fake-chip "DRM") work. But when Windows' automatic updates installs the
latest version, these devices stop working, yielding the dreaded yellow
exclamation mark in the Device Manager.

Further, Prolific has released several significantly different generations of
their chip with significantly DIFFERENT driver requirements. Prolific seems to
have a policy of "forced sunsetting" of older versions of the chip, by
non-supporting them in the latest versions of the driver bundle.

However, they keep using THE SAME MODEL NUMBER (PL-2303) for parts with
sharply different driver requirements.

The result is that GPS devices from various manufacturers, that include a
"PL-2303" work with the driver provided on the included CD (This includes
Globalsat BU353, Microsoft "GPS Locator", Holux, Pharos iGPS, etc). But again,
when Windows Update "auto-magically" replaces the existing driver with the
latest one for a "PL2303", these devices stop working.

It gets even worse, if you happen to use an older device (perhaps a GPS) and a
newer device (perhaps a cable dongle to your TNC) at the same time. The GPS
works with the older driver, but not the TNC. Update the driver, and now the
TNC works, but not the GPS. All because you can't have multiple versions of a
driver for the "same device" ("PL2303") installed at the same time.

All because of Prolific's irresponsible action of assigning the SAME model
number to several DIFFERENT generations of chips.

All-in-all, the PL-2303 situation is such a mess that one should just avoid
Prolific if at all possible. With devices using the FTDI chip now nearly as
cheap as ones embedding the infernal Prolific chip, there is now no reason to
put up with the endless Prolific headaches.

(Prolific has gained such a reputation for problematic drivers that recently,
I've noticed a trend of vendors of even cheap generic USB<-->serial dongles now
bragging about "uses genuine FTDI chip" in their advertising.)

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype: WA8LMF
EchoLink: Node # 14400 [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page: http://wa8lmf.net

Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF
http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/HF_APRS_Notes.htm
Steve Noskowicz
2014-08-16 17:08:01 UTC

FYI:  I have a couple of Sabrent CB-FT1K converters, FTDI chip, no problems on Vista.  I didn't even need to install any drivers.
 Several years old and not expensive (as I recall)

73, Steve, K9DCI
Don't know why my SIG messages wind up in my Spam folder and delayed...