Proper Voice Alert and other APRS Operations
Robert Bruninga
2014-10-12 13:38:03 UTC
I have set up menu 614 “Voice Alert... no matter what I do
there is no way to use the APRS RAW channel without first
deactivating Voice Alert in menu 614. With Voice alert off I hear the data
tones…
Ever since Kenwood put Voice Alert into the radio at my request, I tell
everyone to TURN IT OFF. Do NOT use it for just the problem you encounter.

The work around is even better anyway. Simply turn the volume UP on your
APRS A band and do all the "speaker" and APRS operating control via simple
memory channels. See the table at the top of http://aprs.org

In a nutshell, you simply program 5 memory channels, one with, one without
CTCSS-100 and the others with OFFSETS, etc for all the possible APRS radio
uses.

This way you control voice alert by one click on the Tune knob or Mic. And
NEVER turn that radio volume down. That is the #1 failure to communicate...
driving around with one's radio pinging "CQ" on voice alert and not then
hearing calls.

Bob, WB4APR
John KB2SCS
2014-10-12 14:13:15 UTC
Hi All
I do voice alert differently.
I simply use PL100hz encode I do not use Decode.
Then I leave the APRS A side of my Kenwood d700 or my d710 volume up.
Yes I hear all the packet racket. But I want to hear the packet racket.
After all these years
of doing packet I can tell without looking at my radio how my packets
are doing. If I receive strong
good tone packets then there is a very good chance that my packets are
making it to the digipeaters that
I am hearing these strong good sounding packets from.
Post by Robert Bruninga
[...]

Let us hope we never witness the "Silence Of The Hams"
73 DE John KB2SCS
Web Page: http://www.qsl.net/kb2scs
Jason KG4WSV
2014-10-12 15:08:33 UTC
Post by John KB2SCS
Hi All
I do voice alert differently.
I simply use PL100hz encode I do not use Decode.
Then I leave the APRS A side of my Kenwood d700 or my d710 volume up.
Yes I hear all the packet racket.
And since you hear it all, you don't know which of them are in simplex range, so you cannot make full use of VA. If you don't _want_ to initiate voice contacts based on proximity, that's fine. At least you can still hear a voice contact from someone who hears your toned packet.

-Jason
kg4wsv